Sunday, March 20, 2016

This is My Home

Authors Note: This is my piece on the pig art posters we looked at in class. The one I picked was a picture of the ocean. The haiku at the bottom of the post however, is based on a different print (I think it had trees on it? I can;t remember now.) Enjoy ~



            When I hear the sound of waves crashing upon the rocks, I feel so alive. Some may say that the beaches along the coast of Washington state cannot compare to the sunshiny getaways in Miami, or the island paradises in Hawaii. I think those people are wrong.

This is my home, a cloudy little place along the edge of the land where the ocean meets rocky dirt.  A place where there is rarely enough sun to attempt to get a tan, and where some people don’t even entertain the idea of applying sunblock.

 Unlike wave-goers down in Cali and the beach bums slumming around the Gulf, I don’t need sunshine to enjoy the ocean. I can smell the water from the beach, I can hear the birds and the white caps rolling in. I can feel the tide rise and fall as it attempts to carry me away. I don’t need suntan lotion and surf boards. All I need is ocean.

             I have taken a few accompanied trips to beaches such as the previously mentioned and I don’t understand the hype. The beaches in Miami were hot. The sweat dripped off of me almost aggressively. Apparently that was the case for everyone else too because it reeked. The air was so thick of human perspiration and spray-on sunscreen that I couldn’t have caught a whiff of that beautiful ocean aroma if I tried. The crackle of crashing waves was drowned out by screaming children and squealing women, and of course the occasional, “Riotous Dude!” Sure I could venture into the water, but it was too crowded. I ran into another sticky body every time another wave rolled in. Needless to say, I could never relax. The trip, a total loss.

I don’t need sunshine beating down on me to experience bliss. I don’t need a sandy match of volleyball or a waxed piece of wood. And I most certainly do not need a palm-treed paradise with the bluest waves as far as the eye can see.


All I need are waves and my white cane. 




I am looking up
finally I get to rest
autumn, the best way


1 comment:

  1. I really love this, Cassie! I'd like to use it in Think. Will you share a copy with me Google docs (hfraser@sps.org) or email (hfraser@spsmail.org)? I can't copy and paste without getting your black background.

    ReplyDelete