Saturday, February 6, 2016

Writer's Dreams

When it comes to writing, I am not very comfortable using other languages. I have only taken a couple of Spanish classes and I passed those by the skin of my teeth. When I write I try to stay away from foreign concepts. I feel that in order to write about something, you need to have moderate knowledge of it. Before I would even consider including a foreign language in one of my stories or poems, I would study the language first.

Speaking of language, talking is something that I do way too much of. I know that I would learn a lot if I would just shut my trap and listen to people. In fact, I decided that I would start a mute study soon. I am going to come to school and not talk unless it is utterly necessary. I think that will really help me open my mind to more things.

My memories stay fuzzy but I do have total recall of a lot of my dreams. I kept a dream journal for about a year. Honestly I wish I had kept that habit. I lucid dream as well, but not as much as I used to; it takes a lot of practice. When it comes to memories though, I think my clearest memories are the funny and tragic ones. My Dad is a really funny person, so I have a lot of funny memories from every part of my life. I have a few tragic ones as well, and those are pretty clear. I think those stay with me because laughter and tears are both caused by very strong emotions and I am a very emotional person.

Having a history in lucid dreaming in all of that I have had my fair share of nightmares. Personally I do not think that talking about bad dreams gives them “too much power”. I think talking out a nightmare can be good for you. By drawing attention to it in real life, you are reminding yourself that it wasn’t real. Every time I had a nightmare as a kid I would tell my mom about it, and I honestly felt like that helped me cope with it. I will say that I haven’t had a nightmare in a long time. Maybe because I have seven dream catchers over my bed?


I would say that writing is hard work. Sometimes the words don’t stop flowing and it seems easy. Writing is something I’ve done my whole life along with drawing. I have struggled with “Writer’s Block” off and on throughout my life. I am able to write short stories but not novels. Someone once told me that writer’s block isn’t real; that it’s all in your head. I told them, “If it’s in my head then it’s real enough to me.”

4 comments:

  1. Hey Cassie,
    I really wish I could lucid dream, I just want to know how it feels to be able to control your dreams. I would also love to be able to remember all my dreams like you said, "My memories stay fuzzy but I do have total recall of a lot of my dreams." it seems like some super power. Maybe for college you could study lucid dreaming and become lucid dreaming woman, or a cooler superhero name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will have to let us know how your "mute study" goes...maybe it's something you could write about. I like what you say at the end about if a problem is in your head it's real to you, even if it's not to someone else. True.

    ReplyDelete